As you take the normal opportunities of your daily life and
create something of beauty and helpfulness, you improve not
only the world around you but also the world within you.
~President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

It's a Shower!

I got to throw a friend a baby shower last week and had a lot of fun thinking of a few ideas of things to make for it!

Here is a few pictures and a recipe from the shower.


The button monogram. I have been wanting to try my hand at one of these for a long time, and thought it would be a cute addition to a little girl's room. I used a plain ol' glue gun to attach the buttons onto some cross-stitch fabric, and then some jewlery adhesive for the pearls and rhinestones. I used a small Ikea frame and attached it to the board using the glue gun as well.

The board is a 12 x 12 MDF board that I had cut at Home Depot. I used mod podge to adhese the scrapbook paper. I also did a thin layer of mod podge over the finished monogram and the cross-stitch fabric just to make it a little more durable.





The hanging lanterns I had picked up at Pier 1 a while ago. I wanted to make the neutral lime green a little more girly, and in keeping with the colours for the theme of the party I made some little rolled flowers out of crepe paper (streamers) that I had bought from the dollar store.

I attached the flowers using "Zots" (a scrapbook glue dot that can be found at Michaels or any scrapbook store), and used good ol' Scotch tape to keep the flowers together.









One of the little finger foods I made for the shower was some "Turtle Bites". They were a hit and were also easy to make! Here is the recipe, but watch out, they are addicting and very easy to justify eating as they are small!



Turtle Bites (recipe from Krystyn Jahn)


Two Bite Brownies (big box from Costco) 1/2 cup butter
8 oz. cream cheese 1/2 cup brown sugar

2 cups whipping cream 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

1 1/2 cups icing sugar 1/2 cup pecan pieces

1/4 cup milk chocolate

First cut the center of the brownie bites out, not all the way through on each brownie and kind of shape the sides (a melon baller works well). Second, cream the cream cheese (works best if it has been out at room temp.) then add the icing sugar and cream together. Third, melt the chocolate on the stove top or microwave (I usually add a little milk). Fourth, mix it into the cream cheese mixture. Next whip 2 cups whipping cream and then fold into the cream cheese. Put cream cheese mixture into a large Ziploc and snip the bottom.


Caramel: In saucepan combine 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk. Stir continuously so that bottom doesn't burn and let boil for about 2 minutes. While hot, put a small amount in each brownie and then pipe the cream cheese mixture in using the Ziploc (be generous here!). Place a small pecan on to of each one and place in fridge to set up. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment