As you take the normal opportunities of your daily life and
create something of beauty and helpfulness, you improve not
only the world around you but also the world within you.
~President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Baby Shower!

I got to help with a baby shower last week! There isn't much more fun than baby showers.....Baby Haylen is just as cute as can be and we are so happy to have him as our new little neighbour!

I just used some plain gift bags (from Walmart) and also some scrapbook paper from Walmart and created Haylen's name. I was trying to think of something that would be "big", in other words noticeable, and this worked well as I already had all the supplies.
I found the fabric for the tablecloth in the clearance bin at Walmart as well! I thought it was worth it to just buy fabric, seeing as I can use it again, as it turned out to be cheaper than buying plastic or vinyl table cloths.
The fresh tulips were a suprise from my oh-so-thoughtful husband. These cannot be tagged with a price:)


I made some little frames using some scrapbook paper I had. I bought the frames at Michaels for $1.50 and painted them, then used Mod Podge with the paper. The photos of Dani and Haylen I got from Dani's talented sister-in-law Erin. She is good.


I also made some platters for the occasion. I just went to Value Village and bought some old candle holders, some plates (ones with some character are the best, and it doesn't matter what colour or pattern is on them). I bought some epoxy and spray paint from Walmart. I first glued the plates to the candle holders, let them dry and then spray painted. It took a few coats of paint, but I thought they turned out great. I put little paper doilies on them to actually serve food. I can use them in the future for other special occasions.

GAMES:
1-I filled some sippy cups (Dollorama) with candies. Everyone had to write down a guess as to how many candies were within the cups. The winners got to take home their new sippies!
2- I filled a diaper bag with 16 items related to babies. Everyone had a piece of paper and pen. I emptied the diaper bag in front of everyone and let them look over the items for 2 minutes. I then put everything back in the bag and said "go". Everyone then wrote down as many (or all) of the items as they could remember. The person with the most items won an Oilers bib!

4 comments:

  1. cute Jenna! you are so talented. it was fun playing with you guys today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the plates turned out! You can also do that with vases(old clear ones with a sturdy base and use glass plates, then you can have different heights of crystal looking plates... it works really well and the plates and vases or candlestick holders can be picked up at thrift shops. You can attach the plate to the vase with silicone... great ideas Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice work, jenna! i loved the idea for the platters. so brilliant!

    looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Haylen's Mother, and I don't know if the pictures do the decor justice. All such great ideas! I love the idea for the platters...super cute. Thanks so much again for the memorable evening!

    ReplyDelete